William “Biff” Jennings is a Partner in TechCXO’s Finance and Operations Practice. He is called on by Boards, investors, and senior management teams to support companies as an interim and fractional CFO. With diverse experience in finance and operations, Biff has spent his career helping startups and middle-market companies manage rapid growth, recovery, and transformation.
He has also provided services as a consultant to management and private equity investors in the following industries: consumer electronics, telecommunications, real estate, distribution.
During his distinguished career, Biff has served as CFO for more than eight (8) organizations, including Stolt Sea Farm, a $180M aquaculture company; INTTRA, a logistics/SaaS company that grew from a startup to more than $35M; Hudson Baylor, a $75M environmental services firm, and Winters Bros. Waste Systems, also an environmental services firm with annual revenue of $35M.
In addition, Biff has served a number of private equity-backed companies as their CFO. These include rePlanet Holdings, a $175M sustainable packaging firm; SPS, a $300M value-added reseller/managed services provider; Sequential Tech, an IT services firm; and InformData, a $200M data provider to the human capital management industry. Biff began his career with Arthur Andersen.
Included among Biff’s key accomplishments for these businesses are:
- Prepare businesses for sale and manage the sale process through closing
- Three successful exit/change-in-control transactions (Hudson Baylor Corporation, SPS, SequentialTech).
- Implement standard systems and improve processes
- Migrated companies to standard accounting systems (NetSuite; Intacct, IQMS, JD Edwards).
- Improved billing systems to shorten order-to-cash cycle.
- Improve profitability
- To better understand sources of profitability, implemented contract profitability measurement systems and product cost/profit analysis.
- Led cost-reduction initiatives at two companies, yielding more than $10 million in annualized cost savings at each firm.
- Worked with the PE sponsor of SPS to implement a restructuring plan and structure the sale of the business, avoiding bankruptcy.
- Acquisition and post-merger integration
- Executed two international acquisitions.
- Coordinated the close and successful integration of four domestic tuck-in acquisitions in six months.
- Managed financial integration of two equally sized legacy entities and migration from legacy systems to NetSuite.
- Raised over $100 million from the INTTRA consortium to fund product investment and growth plan.
- Multiple equity rounds and $48 million commercial loan refinancing for rePlanet Holdings.
- $45 million multi-bank refinancing to fund working capital, facility upgrades, and turnkey facility development at Hudson Baylor.
- $9 million in COVID-19 related recovery funding and $6mn ABL facility for SequentialTech.
- Led SPS through restructuring and sale process while access to working capital facilities were severely restricted.
Born and raised in Ohio, Biff is a graduate of Princeton University, where he majored in politics and captained an Ivy-champion Division I track & field team. Today, he resides in Austin, Texas, with his wife, three boys, and two dogs. He is a member of the Association for Corporate Growth, the CFO Leadership Council, and the Financial Executives Institute. He enjoys reading history and competing in soccer and track.