Sharon Reese is a TechCXO Partner in the firm’s Finance & Operations practice. She is a data-driven, collaborative executive with deep knowledge in global finance, operations, and business integration, particularly for healthcare-related companies. As a seasoned senior leader with over 30 years of experience, Sharon is most frequently called on by Boards, CEOs, investors, and senior management teams to support startup clients and fast-growing companies as an interim and fractional CFO. She is based in the Washington D.C. area.
In addition to financial operations, she has extensive experience with board relations, healthcare compliance, and human resources. Sharon prioritizes mentoring and coaching staff to foster communication and build both the team and a strong culture. Her ultimate goal is to be of service, delivering sustainable solutions and guiding organizations to maximize profitability and growth. Sharon’s areas of expertise include:
- Transformation of Start-ups/Turn-arounds to growth
- Global Financial Management
- Financial Reporting and GAAP Compliance
- Accounting Practices and Month-end Close
- Audit planning and preparation
- Forecasting & Budget execution
- Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Cash Management
- Equity/Capital account maintenance
- Systems implementation
- M&A business integration
- Board Governance, Relations & Partnership Development
- Risk Management
- Process Improvement & Change Management.
- Recruiting, hiring, onboarding, training, and performance development
During her distinguished career, Sharon served in the following roles:
CFO, AgNovos Biocience – For this medical device startup developer of transformational therapies that leverage proprietary, bone-building technology and regenerative medicine to address bone disease, Sharon led the finance, human resources, legal and compliance functions, overseeing the department’s overall operations, including the development and execution of strategies and systems that managed risk. She directed accounting, financial management, tax compliance, and connected auditing processes to maximize cash flow for day-to-day operations and EBITDA. Sharon bolstered data analysis, reconciliations, international tax laws and financial performance; mentored and trained the team on newly implemented processes, policies, and procedures. She also completed monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting; executed continuous improvement initiatives to resolve problems, improved productivity, and increased technical efficiency company-wide. Sharon previously served as Vice President of Finance and Compliance and Corporate Controller for AgNovos.
Key Contributions and Achievements:
– Evaluated and implemented SAP ERP
– Raised over $200M in equity with private investors
– Reported to Board of Directors on annual risk management processes, risk register, heat map, and mitigation plans
Senior Director of Finance, BioReliance – Sharon successfully organized the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and all corporate tax matters for global operations at this international contract services company offering tests and services related to biologics safety testing and toxicology to the pharmaceutical industry. She expertly managed corporate cash and treasury functions to optimize cash flow, along with the updates of financial and administrative infrastructure in accordance with shareholders’ requirements
Key Contributions and Achievements:
– Integral in the connection of public company requirements of Sigma Aldrich, including reduction of the monthly close process from 7 to 3.5 days
– Recruited and developed a fully-functional finance department while coordinating the transition to new PE owner
Prior to that, Sharon served as Director of Finance at United BioSource Corporation, an international healthcare company specializing in evidence-based solutions to enhance the commercialization of pharmaceuticals and biotech products. She also held different financial leadership roles at Focus Diagnostics, Inc., Phillips International, Inc. and spent over 6 years in the audit practice of Ernst & Young.
Sharon is a Certified Public Accountant and received a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from The Pennsylvania State University. She received certifications in Human Resources and Board leadership from Harvard University executive programs.